Part-time 28 hours/week
$19.00-$23:00/hour DOQ + Benefits
About the Role
As the Facilities and Maintenance Technician at Grey Bears, to oversee the maintenance and operation of our facilities. The ideal candidate will be responsible for ensuring the safety, functionality, and overall appearance of our facilities. They will collaborate with a team of volunteers, contractors, and vendors to maintain the highest standards of facility management. This role will also be expected to travel locally on occasion.
- Ensure spaces are cleaned and maintained, including offices, conference rooms, warehouse, kitchen, restrooms, and stores.
- Regular cleaning tasks such as emptying trash/recycling/compost, dusting and sanitizing surfaces, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming carpets, scrubbing and sanitizing kitchens, restrooms, toilets, sinks, and restocking disposables.
- Mix cleaning solutions in preparation for cleaning according to instructions and manage inventory.
- Maintain exterior recycling and parking areas, landscape and other grounds including garden and path maintenance, sweeping, weeding, trimming, blowing, and watering.
- Monitor the safety and cleanliness of interior and exterior areas.
- Perform routine maintenance on facilities and make repairs as needed such as minor repairs, painting, installing of storage and shelves, and other projects.
- Provide hands-on support for recycling centers including e-waste and other recycling tasks as needed.
- Schedule and oversee regular inspections and maintenance activities for all equipment and systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.).
- Coordinate larger repairs, renovations, and upgrades as necessary to ensure the continued functionality and safety of facilities.
- Identify opportunities for cost savings and efficiency improvements.
Vendor and Contractor Management
- Identify, evaluate, and contract with external vendors and contractors as needed for specialized maintenance and repair work.
- Manage vendor relationships to obtain the best value for services.
Safety and Compliance
- Maintain proper safety measures for the workplace up to OSHA standards.
- Maintain all facilities in compliance with local, state, and federal safety regulations.
- Implement safety protocols and procedures for staff and occupants.
- Conduct regular safety inspections and maintain accurate records.
- Respond promptly and effectively to facility-related emergencies.
Reporting and Documentation
- Maintain detailed records of maintenance activities and repairs.
- GED/High School or equivalent reading, writing, and math skills sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job.
- 2-3 years of related experience in facilities and maintenance management
- Basic knowledge of building systems, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing
- Familiarity with safety regulations and best practices
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly and other deadlines consistently.
- Work under pressure with changing, ambiguous priorities.
- Communicate effectively and promptly to clients, vendors, volunteers, or employees of the organization.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must be able to come to work on time every scheduled workday as well as other days as needed.
- Ability to work weekends and overtime is necessary.
- Must be able to become forklift certified with organization-provided training. However, forklift experience and certification are a plus. Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse population, especially senior citizens.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with customers and traffic and be able to move safely and provide a high degree of customer service.
- Valid license to drive in the State of California.
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
- Ability to lift and/or move 30 pounds on a regular basis and 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions typically requiring bending, kneeling, squatting, sitting, standing for long periods of time, walking, walking on uneven surfaces, handling objects, tools, or controls, operating a computer keyboard and cell phone, pushing/pulling, reaching above shoulder level, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and use fine finger movements with manual dexterity. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, the ability to view a computer screen, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to work outdoors.
- Must adhere to safety standards and wear appropriate equipment including safety shoes, gloves, and other personal protective equipment as required.
This is regular part-time position 20-28 hours per week $19-23 per hour to start; employer paid sick and vacation benefits.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to:
2710 Chanticleer Ave
Santa Cruz, CA 95065.
Click here to download an employment application.
Grey Bears is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage the candidacy of professionals with diverse lived experiences and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin and ancestry, mental or physical disability status, age, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, perceived medical condition, protected veteran status, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, sexual orientation, reproductive health decision making, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.